The Houroku (焙烙) ceramic pot is perfect for making your own hojicha at home. Just like freshly-roasted coffee beans, freshly-roasted hojicha has many aromatic compounds which are lost in storage and transit. By roasting your tea at home, you can fill your house with the incredible caramelizing smells and enjoy all the flavor your tea offers right after roasting.
While you can roast any tea you’d like (or even nuts or rice etc), we recommend making hojicha with kukicha or bancha. You can also revive old tea leaves which have lost their fresh aroma.
The handle is hollow and serves as an easy serving spout to pour out your freshly roasted green tea without spilling.
How to Roast Hojicha:
- Place the dry tea in the pot and hold over medium-low heat while gently shaking the pot to move the tea around for 1-2 min or until you are satisfied with the color and smell.
- Pour through the handle-spout into your kyusu and brew while fresh.
- As this item is made from unglazed clay, wash with water and dry well after use.
- Scrub with a light brush (such as a toothbrush) if necessary.
- Do not use a harsh scrubber.
- Avoid the use of soap or detergents, as they may soak into the clay.
- Do not put in the dishwasher or microwave.